Chaosmeister

Cyberpunk 2.0.2.5 or the return to 2020

4. An arbitrarily decided individual starting money, for each character separately.

5. A random table.

But I'd be in support of option #3. The world isn't just, but you have already given every character the same amount of stat points and skill points, why not give them as much cash, too? 

Basing it on stats or Special Ability promotes pumping these up just to have better starting cash, just as basing pickup skill points used to promote extra high INT & REF. 

Theres still chance to introduce some differences here with character history being rolled (and if you're using the old Blackhammer's Good / Bad Things tables, or the more recent Interlock Unlimited tables, stats - primiarly LUCK - can have an impact there, too). 

Let me see. Changed starting cash to fixed amount, some typos, removed some Benefits I didn't like, added the Agent item. Those are the ones I remember. Was mostly a change from A5 to A4 with new fonts and new art I have actually the rights for.

And a "new" character sheet I modified from a pretty great existing one. Can be printed A4 Horizontal too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lKHyWrovF5E-VAcMzatam4YbSyrykZwAf5tyXI1ZHNg/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Chaosmeister

3 hours ago, Chaosmeister said:

Which tables are you referring to Mikael? The ones I have from Interlock Unlimited don't really use stats except in Hounds prison table.

Uhh... I could've sworn I've seen them for the first time at Blackhammer's Datafort all those years ago...

Anyway. The idea was it is your natural abilities that affect your luck in life, not pure chance. If you're good around people, there's a bigger chance you'll make friends than enemies. If you are just lucky, there's less chance bad luck will happen to you.

So, if you rolled a Good Luck / Bad Luck effect for a given year, you rolled again adding your Luck to the result against a given difficulty (if memory serves me, it was Diff 15 Luck, but rolled with a 1d20). If you rolled over it, you had a lucky event, if under it, a bad luck event.

Friends & Enemies used EMP for the same mechanics.

It has inspired me to write the enhanced Romantic Events table that actually made it into Interlock Unlimited.

It would be actually tempting to have similar tables using every stat in a character sheet (giving the player a very early taste of how life is if somebody is dumb, clumsy, ugly, weak, unlucky, bad with people etc), but it would be a lot of work to create such a set.

7 minutes ago, senior officer Mikael van Atta said:

Uhh... I could've sworn I've seen them for the first time at Blackhammer's Datafort all those years ago...

I think you mean these http://www.ambient.ca/cpunk/lifepath.html Great memory Mikael, nailed it pretty much.

Will give them a read.

And yes, a lifepath system that incorporates the characters stats sounds fantastic but horribly complicated and lots of work I sadly can't do.

On luck, the luck cards from datafortress really changed that stat in my last few campaigns from a dumb stat to one that people pay attention to. i always allowed them to modifiy after a die roll, but at double cost.

random thought/questions:

as i'm reading the penalties and benefits, it occurs to me that some of them can be rolled up lifepath (criminal record, hunted by police, hunted by corporation, etc). do you give them the points for that if they roll it up in lifepath?

i always allowed characters to register their weapons if they wanted to during startup (some do, some don't). if they did they paid the registration fee. but i like offering the chance for them to buy it with skill points as well. (even had one character buy the same gun legally and illegally, register the legal one and then swap the numbers (all paid for and rolled via skill)).

I wouldn't grant / charge points for rnadom stuff rolled in the lifepath.

Lifepath is blind fate. You can choose to make your life more difficult on your own, and for that, you can be given points.

As for weapons, it depends on weapon type for me. If it is basically civillian-legal, say, a handgun or non-automatic shotgun / rifle, it is merely a matter of player's call: "I have it legit (and thus I can carry it, but should I shoot someone, the bullets shall lead the cops to me!): or not (if they ever catch me with it, I'll be in trouble... but bullets fired form it don't have address on them as "if found, please return to...").

I've always seen this perk as having the paperwork to legally own a weapon that you usually can't legally own...

@Chaosmeister no, not complicated as such. Mechanically, it would be very simple, say, "roll a 1d10 for what happened that year:" and then:

1. Good luck, bad luck (LUCK-related)
  2. Romantic event (EMP-related)
  3. Academic (learning) event (INT-related)
  4. Social (firends & enemies) event (COOL-related. I'm making it up, but based on CP RED making COOL the attribute for negotiations, it could work...)
  5. Athletic / health event (BOD-related)
  6. Equipment & cyberware event (TECH-related)
  7. something-something REF-related
  8. sometihng something ATTR-related
  9. Something-somethign MA-related
  10. Nothing intersting happened this year / roll twice for this year.

...or sometihng the like, depending on what stats are used in a given game.

Then, in each category you have a target number to beat (say, 12 or more is a positive event - that's a 50% chance for an average character's stat value of 6). 

As I say, mechanically simple.

The problem being - we'd have to still come up with 6 good and 6 bad results for each of the 9 categories (108 entires total).

Sure, it would be great to have a list of many possible results for each category (the More Good Luck / More Bad Luck tables from Blackhammer's, with 20 entires in each, are a great example), but actually even having just d6 tables would be great. 

14 hours ago, MartyrTEK said:

random thought/questions:

as i'm reading the penalties and benefits, it occurs to me that some of them can be rolled up lifepath (criminal record, hunted by police, hunted by corporation, etc). do you give them the points for that if they roll it up in lifepath?

No. When they roll it on the life path they get it for free, good or bad.

13 hours ago, senior officer Mikael van Atta said:

@Chaosmeister no, not complicated as such. Mechanically, it would be very simple, say, "roll a 1d10 for what happened that year:" and then:

1. Good luck, bad luck (LUCK-related)
  2. Romantic event (EMP-related)
  3. Academic (learning) event (INT-related)
  4. Social (firends & enemies) event (COOL-related. I'm making it up, but based on CP RED making COOL the attribute for negotiations, it could work...)
  5. Athletic / health event (BOD-related)
  6. Equipment & cyberware event (TECH-related)
  7. something-something REF-related
  8. sometihng something ATTR-related
  9. Something-somethign MA-related
  10. Nothing intersting happened this year / roll twice for this year.

...or sometihng the like, depending on what stats are used in a given game.

Then, in each category you have a target number to beat (say, 12 or more is a positive event - that's a 50% chance for an average character's stat value of 6). 

As I say, mechanically simple.

The problem being - we'd have to still come up with 6 good and 6 bad results for each of the 9 categories (108 entires total).

Sure, it would be great to have a list of many possible results for each category (the More Good Luck / More Bad Luck tables from Blackhammer's, with 20 entires in each, are a great example), but actually even having just d6 tables would be great. 

Ah I get that. Indeed, could work. Interesting idea. Not sure If I have the time and creativity, but maybe this would be worth its own thread? I would probably just do "roll 1d10 under Stat = Good, higher than Stat=Bad.

Edited by Chaosmeister

On 05/11/2019 at 20:41, Chaosmeister said:

I usually ignore it. If it was for me I'd remove it completely from the game. But my players want them.

Just to get it off my mind, as it is related:

Foreign languages (& cultures...), as they can be hard to learn. Still, the difficulty modifiers given in the rules depending on the language family are a mite off.

As is the rule of using any other language in that family at 1/2 level, which I consider an (almost*) complete bullshit. 

* I am aware of a handful of languages that have effectively separated merely dozens of years ago. For example, Czech and Slovakian were officially the same Czech language until dissolution of Czechoslovakia in 1993, differing no more than regional dialects differences usually go. IIRC, there were less than a dozen words that were different between them back in '93. Now, almost 30 years later (i.e. one human generation) they do differ, but can be still considered very, very similar, and probably mutually comprehensible. 

I'd suggest two-fold approach:

1. If you know a language from the same group, you can try to communicate using half the level of it. It will require extra concentration, probably a good deal of waving your hands around (or sketching in a notebook to help your idea come through) and a lot of good will on both sides. Likely patience, too. In short, no chance of not being considered a foreigner: that's tourist'y stuff.

Keep in mind that trying to deal with written text would have any chance of success if the langage you're trying to deal with uses the script you are familiar with: eg. speaking Polish you can try to understeand wrtitten Czech (as both use - if modified - Latin script), but with Russian or Ukrainian, you are out of luck (while being Slavic languages too, they use Cirillic script, historically derived from Greek...).

2. If you speak a language from a given group at decent level (say, +6 or better), other languages within the same group are fairly easy for you to pick up, counting at x1 difficulty (as there are many similar sounds, words and grammatical rules) up to your current max level in a language of this group.

I honestly never bothered with languages much. In my experience English is enough to get around most places so the intrinsic language lists feel overdone to me. I don't feel they add much to my games. Especially since all characters already speak Streetslang.