Cyberjunk

The Future Of Vfte

Hello all.

First off my apologies for not being visible for years. I do pop in occasionally to make sure this place has burnt down in flames and am always pleased to see some life.

So next year is approaching fast and is a bit of a watershed moment. 2020.

How things have changed in the past 20 years and how much has not changed either - where are the flying cars!?!

Anyway, I need to make a decision about the forums future. It has been costing me somewhere in the region of $50 per month to host it and as I was made redundant 2 years ago (now freelance) money is a little tighter than I would have hoped. I don't want to let it go but it can't stay as it is. Here are the options.

1. Move the site as it is to a new host .

2. Move onto the Invision Cloud hosting solution

3. Shut it down

Option 1:

i have some other hosting I run client and project websites from and I could move the site as is there. Downside is it is going to take me a while to do this and it is complex. This system is old and the php version running it will soon be obsolete so it will need some sort of an upgrade to keep it going.

Option 2:

The forum runs on Invision Forum software. They have continually updated their solution and now offer cloud hosting. But the smallest package is $45 a month ($5 cheaper so I could afford milk!). This option provides me with ways to monetise the site in ways other than the advertising (that brings in about $3 per year). This could include a membership scheme which i would keep the cost as low as possible (as some others of you would like milk too). It also offers up to date forum software with better features and we would get a fresh lick of paint (look and feel).

Option 3:

It's been great but it's time to lay it to rest and move on.

As has been said in some of the threads that forums are old now, (but like email they keep going) so really this post is reaching out to you all to see if you are still interested in carrying on the forum. I'd personally like to run with option 2 especially with 2020 coming up but its going to cost me a few hundred $ to port the forum into the cloud system so I won't do it if you are not interested. If we go with option 1 then I think the forum will die off naturally and option 3 I get to save some money (but will be very sad)!

Let me know your thoughts please.

CJ

IMO:

@ 1. Optimal.

@ 2. I don't really think we need new paint and the like. Sure, once in a blue moon I find myself looking for a some feature I've been using on an another forum, but ultimately I do fine without it.

Yes, I'm a grognard.

Membership scheme... dunno. There aren't many of us left around, and if you mean an entry fee, I feel we will not see any more joining.

@ 3. It would be a sad day. That being said, all things eventually come to an end. I came to realise it a few years ago (see the last line of my signature. Tears in rain, old chap...). I'd miss it. But I can deal with it.

In either case, if maintaining the forum means a burden on you that you do not wish to carry, you should not carry it!

Well, so it's come down to brass tacks, and Junk, I'm surprised you've kept it going to your own personal loss.

I'd say file it somewhere free, but alas, I think the forum as one full of ideas and contribution may be dead.

Thanks for all the fish and please spread anything I've added like herpes to everyone you touch.

'Nuff said.

To be honest, I'd forgotten about this forum! Many thanks for all the service.

On the one hand, I'm agnostic about future directions. On the other hand, I think cyberpunk in general is still ahead of its time, so there's something worth keeping around.

Long time lurker, not-so-frequent poster.

IMHO it's up to you since it's your personal time and funds that was keeping this forum up & running.

Btw, thank you, sir.

Always loved this forum so would be sad to see it go. Work and my own projects prevent me from posting much, but I sneak in from time to time just to see what's going on. (Not as much as it used to, sadly)

Option 1: Probably best way

Option 2: I don't think enough people would pay membership fees. I see that in my own private projects. People like to use stuff but assume everything is for free.

Option 3: Would make me sad... Very sad. We don't want that?

As a sidenote: I don't think forums are dead. Sure, chats & voip solutions like Discord etc are used by more these days. But they are very bad organizing and storing information. Bascially they are like our times: Talk stuff and tomorrow it's forgotten... Unless you are a politician, then they are mystically found 20 years later.

But I still get back here just to read some old posts or RPG scenarios.

Many of my own projects have a Discord & a Forum.

All in all this forum for a while was like a pub I invariably found myself in almost every day. Mostly to talk with friends I made here, play with them or exchange myself with all the bright - and sometimes not so bright - other forum members.

And then it became that place I liked to return to whenever time permitted. Since I hop the globe a lot these days, not too often. :(

Anyway, whatever you decide, I want to thank you for the space you provide(d) us here. I hope VFTE survives, but if not, it WAS a great time!

Those truly were the days, my friend! :)

Edited by Suriel

Although visits and posting to this site has gone down, it is still a valuable resource for us that still play or have interest in exploring a (possible) dystopian future. Yes, the year 2020 is just around the corner, but Cyberpunk is more than just a date. True R.Tal did set this date (after scratching 2013), but I have always felt that this date as just a convenient fictional start point.

Up till the beginning of 2019 I was just lurking every once and while for the past several years until some of my friends decided to start a fresh campaign. However, for all of my "dark" years (posting-wise), our campaign continued on. It became what we call Space Punk and is now set in the year 2332. While what we do with this group has its roots in 2020, it has gone on to be a game in its own right, but still uses most of our own take on the Cyberpunk 2020 timeline up to the Fourth Corporate War.

Of late some of us here got nostalgic for the old game and with Cyberpunk 2077 coming out wanted to get a head start, so we came up with "Cyberpunk 2069 - A Night City and Beyond Campaign". Well, for those following our thread here, we have definitely gone to the "and Beyond" part. We have kept the timeline loose in anticipation of Cyberpunk 2077, but all that I have heard about this new iteration has led me to decide to follow the advice of a number of the "sages" here and follow our own history.

All of this brings me to the question about what to do about vfte here. I am enjoying posting the "episodes" of our sessions and do so look forward comments from the readers here. This also provides a written record of where are campaign has been and ideas on where it should go next. So, obviously I would NOT be in favor of Option #3.

As to Option #2, I have no idea what "Invision Cloud hosting" is so I don't feel that I can comment on that. As to a membership fee, honestly I now have trouble affording "milk" myself since I am now retired and have to count my pennies so I don't outlive my meager savings and end up dying in a card board box under some highway overpass in our present "Land of the Free, Run by the Rich" nation.

So Option #1 would be what I would favor. I am not any sort of computer genius, so I don't know what it would take, but updating the various categories to reflect newer parts of the various Cyberpunk games, movies and literature might serve to invigorate the membership here and provide greater range of options to examine all things Cyberpunk.

Just my thoughts here, but I will understand ant decision that the admins here make.

B)

Just my thoughts here, but I will understand ant decision that the admins here make.

B)

One admin: CyberJunk.

Me, I am - and always have been - merely an overglorified janitor.

One admin: CyberJunk.

Me, I am - and always have been - merely an overglorified janitor.

Over-glorified janitor with over 4500 posts. Janitors go home, you are part of the inventory, face it! ;)

That email was a blast from the past. I’ve not checked this forum in several years tbh!

Whatever option you choose the burden for paying shouldn’t fall on your shoulders.

It would be a shame for all the great threads to just disappear. For the nostalgia value and all those potential new fans when Cyberpunk 2070 gets released I would go for option #1.

Now where are those Cyberpunk books.

i hope the forum can carry on in some form, i encourage people from the discords to go digging here all the time for old solutions to the same old issues. there's also the distinct possibility that RED won't be the most perfect RPG in the history of ever, and we'll need a place that isn't the sycophant ridden company discord to hammer out homebrew fixes ;)

What about finding a more active place where we could join that community?

It would keep something going, and get rid of the server costs.

Eric

Well hello

I haven't posted here for years but I still have strong nostalgia

I might be happy to make a contribution

As a member i would go with Option #1.

I like this place and the kicker is that While things may be in the cloud they don't always stay there.

This place is also a fount of cyberpunk culture and knowledge.

While I do like the R.Talsorian discord it does not have decades of searchable back posts to find an answer to questions that come up. As for it's moderation I have only seen them come down on somebody because they were deliberately being a scumbag and personally attacking people.