Sign in to follow this  
ChalkLine

I'm A Climate Change Migrant

Well, for the last five (5) years each summer has been 'the hottest on record', exceeding the one before it by no small margin.

This summer's heatwaves started mid spring and are still ongoing. It was 40ºc inside my house last week for a few days.

It's now untenable to live here without significant insulation and air conditioning.

I talked to some friends at the climate research centre at the University of Tasmania and they tell me that I'm not the only one. There's a steady and increasing Australian migration south that's putting pressure on house prices, rentals and infrastructure in the southern states and the northern states are facing big problems with power generation staying with demand. As an aside, she says she privately no longer thinks 'climate change' and now thinks 'climate collapse'.

I don't know what's more cyberpunk than this. But not in a good way.

The reason I stopped playing CP2020 was that dystopia seems less and less fictional as time passes. It's like roleplaying a 40 hour work week at a McJob.

I had a game idea once; what if sea level rise caused 5% of the SE.Asian population to want to move to higher ground, i.e., North Australia?

The answer had too many zeroes. I thought I'd screwed up my maths.

So I tried again at 1%.

A disruption to 1 in 100 people in S.E.Asia could displace 50 million+ people.

Something is going to give, sometime, somewhere. And the old rules and borders and expectations are not going to cope.