Sign in to follow this  
senior officer Mikael van Atta

Microhomes

Well, we had the "living cube" in the CP rulebook for 30 years. Somehow I have never seen one being explained properly...

But this? https://newatlas.com/renzo-piano-micro-home-diogene/27923/ This is, basically, it (sans wheels). Of course a Cyberpunk-era one is unlikely to use cedar wood for construction, but various plastics should do the trick. 2x3m footprint, with 2x2m living space (+kitchen & toilet / shower), intended for off-grid self-sufficiency.

Not really practical in urban 2020 conditions (as it relies on photovoltaics for power, and rainwater for water supply - both of which could be problematic: not enough sunlight, and the water requiring serious purification before use), but then hooking it up to municipal power and water lines (RV-style... if those were available), installing power generator, and a few other solutions could work.

Of course, price would be an issue.

I could imagine individual Diogene units being used exactly as intended - off-grid living quarters in areas with minimal population density. But also as entire districts: half-way between trailer park and gated community, with several dozen of Diogene (or equivalent structures) providing quarters for - primarily lower-end - corporate personnel.

Of course, that's far from being an universal solution, especially in heavily urbanized areas: simply not effective in terms of area needed per occupant. A tall, multi-story building could house way more occupants on the same area (and following that to the logical end, we get an arcology-type structure which covers most of the daily needs for its occupants).

But hey, there's no one-size-fits-all solution out there, is it?

the closest i've found is Japanese micro apartments, there's a bunch of them detailed on youtube

Well, Emma from the vid oyu've linked has done some pretty extensive "tours" about her apartment :) Yeah, Japanese are good with micro-flats.

Personally, I find it amazing how small-yet-functional people can get with living space :) There are quite a few ideas on Youtube in regard of both micro-flats and micro-homes. And even micro-motorhomes / camper trailers.

What I found especially appealing about the Diogene, however, is its off-grid capacity.

you hate that it's off grid?

auto-correct strikes again!

In one of our previous Cyberpunk campaigns we has a player who bought one of these "living cubes". As we moved to various burned out tenements in the combat zone he would move his "home" from place to place as a location to stash his "stuff". It got successfully broken into a couple of times so he bought a cyber-pred to guard it (tiger). We came "home" late on night to find a dead cyberpred lying among the corpses of four dead NCPD officers. <sigh> We had to move...again!

Well, certainly an issue in most Cyberpunk worlds: not having locks strong enough on your valuables locker.

Naturally, that would also mean most microhomes wouldn't be sturdy enough to resist a burglar who is determined enough. Then again, a burglar who is sufficiently determined, sufficiently funded and has enough time & skaill can bypass any kind of security...

I'd see these microhomes as functional equivalent of a RV / trailer, the chief difference being lack of wheels (and the rest of stuff you need to make your house rollin'), and thus being cheaper. At least new (with used, n-th hand examples that tend to mkae living quarters for those down on their luck, I guess difference would be negligible).

Also, microhomes may be better suited for around-the-year continuous use, while some camper trailers / RVs might be intended for limited-time occupancy...

Security was the issue (in our current campaign) that motivated my last contribution to this thread. As the Team is renovating a house in the combat zone, security has become an issue. Last session I was hit with a number of requests for prices and styles of safes. This surprised me since they had just found a floor safe in an abandoned gas station where they were loading out the tools there. (Their patron said he owned those tools.) The prowler failed to open the floor safe so she just took the blow torch they had found and opened it.

A few years ago in another of our campaigns the Team ended up living in a converted shipping container in a community almost entirely built from them. Some of the "apartments" consisted of the whole container, but most were made with a few small micro-homes inside. These were based on a series of articles that Destecado found about people currently using these containers for living space. I believe he may have posted something about this.

A 20' Conex container could be a decent base for a group, especially if the outside was left stock looking, no doors or windows, concealed water hookups that can be purged/filled from a dedicated "honey wagon" type truck. Benefits are it could be hidden in plain site in an industrial yard, truck yard, freight complex etc. It's small enough that it can be easily winched onto the back of a vehicle and moved when needed, easier than a 40' container. 150 square feet inside is enough for a half dozen bunk beds, a shower/latrine area, kitchenette, armory and entertainment area. Tight, but livable for austere environments, mobile and harder to break into that a house or apartment.

Nah, a 40' is about as easy to handle as a 20'. The only difference being you can't use a forklift to move a 40' when loaded, but you could easily fit it with what you mentioned and keep the weight total, I guess, within reasonable limitations.

Unless you mean a specialized cargo & crane truck (capable of self-loading), but these seem to be rather rare and specialized (well okay, armed forces like them for logisitcs applications, but in the civillian world, it is excessive and unnecessary cost.

Either way, you need a crane, or a forklift (and that means, container-sized forklift, capable of handling a ~30 ton loaded container) to handle it around. Let's omit highly specialized equipment like reach stackers, side-lift trucks or gantry cranes, as these are not likely to be found outside of a high-yeld container yards.

A standard container truck can take 2x20' or a single 40'. A standard railroad flatbed - 3x20' or 1x40' and 1x20'.

One problem I see with such a solution is that you'd need to insulate the walls really well, or any temperature extreme is going to make considions for the occupants hard to bear: shipping containers are made of (rather thin, to cut on weight) sheet steel (alluminium or plastic ones aren't unknown, but rather rare). I don't have to tell you how excellent heat conductor (or terrible insulator) it is.

As for breaking into one - it really depends. See, a standard shipping container is equipped with places for padlocks. As good padlocks you get there is how good your protection will be. That is, assuming our thieves don't want to leave obvious signs of entry by cutting through the sheet metal wall itself.

Sure, standard shipping procedure for avoiding pilferage is placing the containers facing each other's doors. Can't open the door if there's another 30-ton container blocking your access to it, right? But that ain't going to work if you need to access the container yourself.

With Shipping containers you can wield on new doors. We did it to the storage containers at work. they all have roll up doors now.

With the type Hanns is referring too one could modify the doors so that the standard closing mechanism is faked and the real one hidden.

This is cyberpunk level tech, a few mm of aerogels would provide insulation and sound reduction enough to make the container comfortable and cozy. Would likely need air circulation, fresh air makeup and heating/cooling but those aren't too difficult with high capacity batteries. The whole idea would be a mobile base (or semi-mobile) that can be hidden in plain sight, you're not just dumping it in the middle of an overgrown field in the Combat Zone but hiding it amongst other such containers, it blends in with its surroundings. Maybe pay some low level gangers to keep snooping eyes out while you rest and recuperate between missions.

Reading this reminded me of a double episode in season 4 of the television show, NCIS LA where these imaginary agents worked with an NCIS group called "Red Team". This group had a mobile operating base that was disguised as a tractor trailer rig which they moved from place to place. It had its own power generation, communications center and sleeping quarters. From the outside it was totally unremarkable, but inside (shot in a studio, of course) was everything a Team would need.

With Cyberpunk technology, something like this would be completely possible. I am/was considering the possibility of making this available to the group I am now running down the road a ways when (and if) they reach such a level as would warrant it. Right now, however, I am hoping they survive tomorrow's session and don't continue their dangerous flirtation with the local Mob!