Companero

On The Cybernetic Jesus Explosion

On the recent clash with eraser over CJe:

Dog Soldier sent me a long and very pleasant PM over moderation policy in this event and this was my reply:

Thank you!

I know - Like you said, it is actually the best thread we've had on the subject. I was just about to give C-Je a private message when eraser called him out: I wish he hadn't said anything because I could have handled this privately without derailing the entire thread.

I don't consider you to have done or said anything wrong whatsoever.

Basic moderation policy is to go for personal insults, not political statements. The problem is - if I attack someone for robust language I also have to ban Cyphire and issue warnings to three or four other people, which I don't want to do. I don't like it when people refer to believers with rival political positions as "right-wing wingnuts" or "libu-tards" and I know an awful lot of sites ban people all together for doing that.

VFTE usually doesn't. I like that about the site. I personally think CJe crossed a line there and he'll be getting a response. As I understand it, he wasn't attacking you personally, and you seemed happy to bounce comments back off him. If I was wrong in that assumption - as I clearly was with eraser - then please tell me and i'll take firmer action. But otherwise, i'm deeply wary of going for people simply for using offensive political language. I mean, your avatar is a direct attack on the political beliefs of a couple of people on the site but I absolutely think you should be allowed to display it and wouldn't dream of asking you to remove it. I would ask someone to remove an avatar that said "Poster X is a twat". Or, hell, "Poster X is a right wing wing nut". If he had called you a right wing lunatic, I would have been much harder on him.

With regards to the penis comment, I initially read that as a smart-ass joke and ignored it because I figured there'd be something equally smart-ass to come back and people would laugh it off. If I was wrong and it did cause genuine offence - and I can see how it has done - then that's a different problem and it will be dealt with.

However, i'm concerned that if I go for an example of non-specific potentially offensive political language, I'll open the floodgates to having to modwhack everyone who uses the phrase "Conservative" or "Liberal" or "Marxist" as an insult. I have to be consistent given that this is a politically divided site. I do agree with you entirely that CJe is very often out of line and that post was, in particular. One other issue is that I can't really ban people just because a large part of the site dislikes what they says: there are two or three other people who would have been kicked out years ago, including a couple of mutual friends.

I hope the above explanation for why I didn't drop a warning onto him like I did Cyphire earlier today is fairly cogent - I'm trying to be consistent and keep to a simple one-rule-for-all programme that doesn't prevent people from speaking their mind, but if you think i'm falling too far to one side of the issue or i've made a mistake please don't hesitate to tell me, I value your input a lot. I am aware that there's a level of inconsistency at work here, and for that I apologise.

/Comp

I'd really like people's input on this - I think it's inline with the basic ethos of the site thus far, but I might well be wrong.

Comp I think you have a balanced view on the ethos of the site. You have my support.

Frack, I should be around more often...

Glad you've handled it, Comp. Today I'm in a mood for bashing heads. And that ain't a proper mood for a moderator (as the name implies, one who sohuld be omderate...).

Yeah - I popped online the other day to unwind after a frankly stressful couple of days and found myself with all this!

I also dropped a warning level of Cyphire, who was just being an entirely obnoxious troll.

I dropped a PM on both of them, IIRC. My PMs tend to be simply, "Bad Monkey!" as the title and a reminder that we consider it bad form to attack the person instead of attacking the idea. I have no issue with the terms "conservative" or "liberal" as they are in common media parlance, I'm just not fond of "liber-tard" or it's many variations or the statement that all gun owners are making up for something.

Hope I'm not slapping the Ban Stick around too much as I keep the bulk of the post but simply edit the offending comment. It's not the arguement that I dislike, it's the individual unnecessary statements that sometimes punctuate their views.