Sign in to follow this  
Psiberzerker

Gotcha!

Anybody seen it? Right now I'm setting up a LARP based on it, kind of an assassination game played in real life, on the streets. So far, the rules revolve around digital cameras, we're working on putting crosshairs in for aiming/scoring.

I used to play it in High-school/college after the movie came out. Me, and a bunch of my friends saw it, and started our own little club. Back then, we used crude sub-lethal weapons like slingshots, markers (for knives) and sugar/salt for poisons. We had a little pamphlet called "The Assassin's Code" with all the rules.

Rule #1 is if any player, or bystander gets hurt, the attacker is disqualified, and the kill is void.

My tradmark kill was dropping a pillow from a height with [sAFE] written on the side.

For the new game, we're going with cameras because they allow "silent" kills with no chance of injury. Of course, that means the players don't know they're killed, but with camera phones, you can send the image with "You daid", or some such.

Anyway, comments, criticism, questions, suggestions?..

Edited by Psiberzerker

Sounds like a cool idea for a game. Have you ever heard of the game "Killer"? It was an assasination based live roleplaying game just like the movie. It was designed to be played on college campuses, etc. I'm not sure which came first, the movie "Gotcha" or the game "Killer"? They were both out in the 80's though. (I saw the movie and played the game as a youngster) I agree the cell phone camera kill is the only way to go in this day and age. Unless you live in a small town or something, paintball guns in the streets are a bad idea. :lol: Let us know how the game turns out. Also what kind of plot elements are you using? I'm trying to decide if it would be more fun to do like an Al Quada cell vs. the FBI type scenario, or just keep it fun and have everyone just kill each other for points?

Edited by meathead

No plot, just characters. We're all spies, political assassins, whatever trying to kill each other. No allies, just civilians. I save the plot for table, and online games, this is just a hobby.

There was also a movie called TAG: The Assassination Game, with Linda Hamilton. From what I can remember they used dart guns, and they were given a target and after killing your target you went after the next target in the line from the "looted" target card.

Of course the movie was about one of the players really killing his targets, but worth looking up.

Loved both movies, My friends and I back in high school played a similiar concept with those little guns that shot the tiny soft yellow balls in the mall.

Though in this day and age playing either could get dangerous.

If you really wanna go with guns, I suppose you could do it via the Nerf daart gun style antics, those are usually whacky shaped and brightly colored enough that it would be pretty hard to get you in trouble.

Of course if someone does something reallys tupid, they will get nerf guns banned nation wide and then the customizers will hunt you down and kill you dead...

I haven't seen TAG, but I hear it's gutten (sorry) The nerf guns could work, and now they've got tommies, sniper rifles, et al. The picphones work well, and are nice, and stealth. I've also gotten a few SvsS kills, including my signature, a pillow from lethal height, with {SAFE} written on the side in sharpy. Snapped the pic simultaneously, priceless pwn.

The graduating seniors from my school last year played a game like this, but they used Super Soakers. A bunch of my friends were thinking of buying airsoft guns, so this would be a pretty fun idea (we live in a small town).

The movie came out in 1985 after the fad went through colleges/universities for Assassin and Tag. Killer was a SJ Games product that was first published in 1981 so very likely was the origin for the game at many schools. The movie version had players using paintball guns.

http://www.sjgames.com/killer/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin_(game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_(role-playing_game)