Sign in to follow this  
wilphe

Corporates

Ok, arguing over Combat Sense is sexy, but there are several SA's we haven't argued over yet. So I'm going to stick them up and see if anyone gives a damn about them.

I'll start with Corporates.

Does anybody want to stick up for Resources?

I'm proposing three options:

1) As originally written. Resources level = what you can get. Which I think sucks.

2) Resources = your ability to play the system. If you are a Resources 8 Junior Manager then you get the corner office and the best looking secretary in your level. You still have a Resources 3 guy as your VP, but he has no budget for his division, can't get his expenses approved and has to make do with a ten year old AV-2 when all the other VPs have AV-7s.

All CEOS would still have high resources scores, that's how they survived and got to become CEOS.

3) Drop them as a seperate class, and treat them as species of upmarket Fixer.

I am for a fixer class with a Corp upbringing background.  Of course they would not be street dealers but wheelers and dealers in the world of big business.

me i like the idea of 2 it has potential.

I used this just like I used Authority.  It's an "adder" skill.  

You use it when you want something from the corporation that the character really doesn't NEED for their job.  Cars, extra guards, increased expense accounts, extra budget, etc. are all useful uses for this skill with difficulties being based on apparent need, how much ass kissing you've done, and how well your personal network is set up to handle the request.

I then went a bit further and allowed it to be used for intimidation in the corporate structure and to get the boss to listen to you instead of that pissant junior VP from accounting.  While this seems a bit broken, if he's put more points into the other relevant skill(s) instead of just the adds, he's gonna break even with you no matter how high up you are in the food chain.  And we'd hate to see you drop in standing with the boss in front of everyone, wouldn't we... ;)

Worked great and the corp game I ran was a real hoot,

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

I know this is an old thread but I think the oft overlooked and under appreciated corp deserves more attention.

Wildside did Corps a disfavor by saying Street Deal can be used like Resource. They delineated corps and fixers inappropriately in my opinion. They basically said that corps are from corporations and fixers are strictly blackmarket. Why? Every other role has it's place on both sides of the economy. Why are these two roles different? If someone wants to be a fixer that works for a corporation, call him a broker. If a corp is in a crime syndicate he's a made man. The key difference between the abilities is Fixers know where to get it. Corps have it.

Getting a corner office and an AV-7 is just a perk. A fixer specializing in corporate contacts should get similar perks. A fixer trafficking guns on the other hand may have access to an assortment of weapons but that doesn't mean he can just take them as he pleases. He just has better access to them via his connections. He still needs to pay for them. If his contacts like him enough he might get kicked a gun here and again, but that's just greasing wheels.

Wildside did a great job relating how fixers need to maintain their network of contacts, Corps need to do something similar. They need to manage their resources. I've had players shut down rival corps through effective management and denial of critical resources to other departments. I think that's pivotal in understanding the resource ability. Resources are finite; when a corp takes resources from the company it's denying another corp from using the same resources (which is also a good reason to deny resources and a great way to create internal competition and rivalries).

So let your players stage some corporate espionage to get that newtech they can't live without. Give the players the opportunity to put together a presentation on why this tech is so important for business and maybe just maybe their boss(es) will back the project adding their resources. Next thing you know instead of attempting to steal the tech, there is a team waiting and ready to extract the lead designer because the resources were there to offer him a better deal. That's Resource. Of course it takes a fixer to contact the designer and negotiate the deal.

Essentially in business (legitimate or not), you have networkers and managers. Distributors and suppliers. Fixers and corps. They can't succeed without one another, and without a doubt play their own roles.

Edited by Markus O

Heh.... wow.... that is some serious necromancy going on here...

Honestly, I have been using Interlock Unlimited so long that I had almost forgotten this to be an issue... even though it was one of the prime reasons I created IU... Corporates and Resources under the original rules fell into the saem funky miasma of hand wavium abstract wankery that most of the old Roles and Special Abilities did, with the added bonus that like Cops, the Special Ability required you to be employed for it to have any effect at all... get fired and wherever you go suddenly, realistically, you lose the entirety of your SA and have to start from scratch, or have to start a new career altogether...

IU fixed this problem by treating all Special Abilities like Combat Sense, in that they are no longer skills on their own, but instead add to 2-3 other skills...

In the case of Corporates, one of the skills that Resources adds to is called Networking (Nomads also add their SA to this skill, but under different circumstances)... the other skill they add their Special Ability to is called Business Sense.

Networking-The skill of recognizing useful people and the

services they can provide, and cultivating a mutually beneficial

relationship. In short it allows you to form and utilize connections

through common goals, services, and requirements.

Business Sense – The ability to read the stock market for

fluctuations, enabling a trader to recognize the right time to buy

and sell commodities. It also allows a character to know what is in

demand, and recognize current trends in consumer habits and

requirements.

As you say, having access to the comapny car, or being able to request a security team are just the benefits of being employed... and if thats all resources did for you, then everytime you got fired, your resources skill would drop to zero...

Fixers under IU add their SA to Streetwise and Persuasion Fast Talk.

Streewise works similiarly to Networking, but is not the same..

Streetwise - The knowledge of the "seamy" ways of life - where to

get illegal and contraband things, how to talk to the criminal

environment, and avoiding bad situations in bad neighborhoods.

With Streetwise of +3 or better, you can get "hot" items, drugs, etc.

With a Streetwise of +5 you know how to arrange a murder

contract, you know a few mobsters who might owe you, and be

able to call on muscle when you need it. At +8 or better, you could

become a major crimelord yourself. (See page 68)

The skills are remarkably similiar, but operate in a different fashion... Networking operates as an Emp based Skill, while Streetwise is Cool based.

Serious? He's necromancing a thread dead for 9 years and you call it a "serious case"?

Man, in civilised countries such offenders are being burnt at stake! :lol:

@ Marcus: the Apostasis was meant as a rewritten rules variant. One of a few that came from this forum. As you can see, it wasn't completed...

Serious? He's necromancing a thread dead for 9 years and you call it a "serious case"?

Man, in civilised countries such offenders are being burnt at stake! :lol:

@ Marcus: the Apostasis was meant as a rewritten rules variant. One of a few that came from this forum. As you can see, it wasn't completed...

I dunno, in Haiti I think they make you Governor or something... :P

Either way, the supply of zombie dust is strong with this one...

*Summons Papa Doc Duvalier and the Baron*

Anyway, the Corporate isn't an underpowered role, they have assets and resources other Roles do not have. They're the guys who listen to "Its Hip to be Square" and have business meetings with coffee and sushi one day and then are out on the streets brokering a deal the next.

On my chat we decided to restrict the Wealth benefit to Corporates, because we purposely want to make them power players with money to throw at other PCs and NPCs. Who do you go to when you need money and what will you have to do to earn it?

Edited by CitizenX

*Summons Papa Doc Duvalier and the Baron*

Well, I hope Legba will take care of us... we could really use some pathways! B)

...organised crime sindicate? :P

Seriously, R.Tal made excellent job with Wildside - make us laymen dig how the backalleys of life work.

A pity they hardly made it to that level with other roles - I personally liked NeoTribes, but it idin't showed Nomad economy and daily life as lively as I'd like it to.

The Live & Direct seemed to miss an opportunity - reading it didn't give me as much as reading just one season worth of Transmetropolitan!

Protect & Serve was a supplement for a completely different game, it seemed (2013-era sourcebook, plus the Polish translation had a translator who should be shot on sight for the crime of violating Polish language!), similar with SoF1 and Rockerboy - they bring little about the topic of playing that role in typical setting for me. Little idea for campaigning.

And as for Techs, Medtechs* and Corporates - they never got themselves a book on their own. See, a Tech needs more than 4 Chromebook-loads of new hardware to play with...

* I think I've heard there was a third party sourcebook for CyberGeneration handling MedTech... but wasn't able to put my hands on it.

one of my favorite characters is a merc officer that typically runs the logistics for the group. if they are running a job for his specific company it was the hard limit of what they could use of company resources for the job with at least 80 percent of that having to be returned in good order.

for side jobs it became a modifier on if he could persuade someone in the company to help a guy out.

honestly i have found it a decent skill if you are... player assisting the gamemaster. like if you have several new people and the gm is relying on you to help wrangle them in.